Thursday, July 12, 2012

Midsommar...finally!

The last time I attended the Swedish Heritage Society's Midsommar was the summer that Steve and I met...2008.  Since then, we've tried repeatedly to get to it.  It always seems, though, that something always came up.  This year, we committed to ourselves that we were going to go.  It's funny because we had to change the date on some tickets to see Crazy For You so that we could make it, but we did it!
They hold the Midsommar every year at the International Peace Gardens at Jordan Park near the Swedish stugga (little cabin).  We arrived at 5:00 in 100 degree weather.  Luckily, there were lots of trees and a nice breeze blowing.  We watched them put up the pole and then they had some dancers do some dances.  They also did a line dance with anyone that wanted.  We watched those, but Anna and I did dance in the round dances around the pole.  Anna enjoyed running around in circles.  This year they had a live orchestra playing the music, fun!
At 7:00 they served dinner.  Steve stood in line for us while I watched Anna dance to the music that was playing.  She also found a tent pole and decided it made a good fireman pole to slide down.  She had so much fun climbing up on a chair and 'sliding' down the pole.  The dinner was catered by a restaurant.  It was good, but not $12 a piece good.  We split our meal with Anna.
In all, it was a fun evening.  Next time we have a couple of things we'd do differently.  First, I think Anna and I need flower crowns.  It's just not Midsommar without a crown of flowers.  We'd also go a little later and maybe bring our own dinner.
Glad Midsommar!

No comments:

Post a Comment